Tuesday, April 22, 2014

90s marvel and a Monster Couple

Spent the morning at a book store sketching. I'm trying to improve my character design while practicing for Free Comic Book Day. I used to scratch away endlessly but with my hand issues, I need to be more deliberate with my lines. 

Comics were definitely a thing for me growing up, but I learned so much more from the cartoons, action figure bios, and random trading cards. 

That said, I think if you even walked past a comic shop back then they gave you a copy of Hearts of Darkness starring Ghostrider, The Punisher, and Wolverine.

I've always drawn Spider-Man smaller and skinnier than most. Recently I've been thinking that along with strength and agility, there's be some weirdness transferred with spider DNA. Instead of making him super cool, it'd make him even more strange. Parker would be a little creepy sometimes. His spider sense would give him a weird tick, he'd be tying knots in strings, or elaborate cats cradles with rubber bands. As Spider-man he'd always be crouching, scurrying about on walls, or hopping around. Or just sitting there perfectly still, no expression through that mask. Creepy Bug would be his nick name.

Ideas like that are why I'll never work for Marvel.

I used to never be able to draw a decent Venom. Then I based him on the Tasmanian Devil. Now I could draw him anytime. 

Carnage is like an octopus. He mass of ever changing skin tones and textures. His goopy arms can go from liquid to pointy in an instant. That'd be fun to see animated.


Galactus might become my favorite character. He's been the last of his kind for thousands of years and he doesn't care what you think of his giant helmet or metal kilt. It's like going out in sweat pants. Wait, no. Cut-off sweat pants.

While I'm learning this new felting craft, I've basically been copying designs. That's fine to start, but I know to stand out I've got to be different. So I'm pushing my character designs there too. So the monster is like a wall with miss matched parts and the bride is kind of a lamp shade with arms. 

No comments: